Software for Your Computer
ITS Virtual Lab
The ITS Virtual Lab provides dozens of applications via a web browser. See the Virtual Lab list of the applications for further details.
Available from SILS DreamSpark (formerly MSDN-AA):
SILS has teamed up with DreamSpark Premium and Kivuto Solutions, Inc. to provide Microsoft software to SILS students at no cost. To be eligible, you must be enrolled in at least one class at SILS. SILS degree students are automatically enrolled and receive a welcome email at the beginning of the academic year. Non-degree students enrolled in a SILS course must contact the SILS Help Desk for DreamSpark access.
The DreamSpark site offers the following software for students (note that Microsoft Office Standard is not included, but is available through the UNC ITRC):
- Access 2010
- Visio Professional 2010
- OneNote 2010
- Project Professional 2010
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP Professional
- ...and other MS applications
How to access DreamSpark/Kivuto software
The DreamSpark site uses a simple shopping-cart checkout system. You will need to be a SILS student and have a valid UNC email address to access the site. Instructions on how to access, download, and install your software through DreamSpark can be found at our DreamSpark instructions page.
Available from UNC-CH:
Microsoft Office 2010: For Students, there are three options to have the license/media installed on a personal owned computer .
- You may purchase Office 2010 at a discounted price of $25 from the Student Stores Ram Shop by either visiting the RAM Shop or by placing an order through the UNC Student Stores web site.
- You can have the ITRC Walk-In Service install the software for free at one of their two Walk-In Locations (Undergraduate Library or SASB South). This service will install the software, but you will not receive any installation media (CDs).
- You may download the software by placing an order through the Software Acquisition Student Ordering web site. There is no cost for download.
See here for more information.
UNC shareware offers a number of software packages for free to anyone who has an Onyen. Software includes:
- Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials & ClamXav for Mac OSX
- Browsers: Firefox
- E-mail: Thunderbird
- File transfer: SSH/SFTP for Windows, Fetch for Mac
- File archives: WinZip for Windows, StuffIt for Mac
- Printing: Client software for campus-wide printing
- VPN: Cisco VPN client
- ...and other applications and utilities.
Software on the SILS Lab Computers:
- Microsoft Office Pro 2010 for Windows/Office 2011 for Mac
- Microsoft Visio 2010
- Microsoft Project 2010
- Camtasia (Rooms 303, 310)
- SnagIT (outer lab and 303 only)
- Adobe Creative Suite 6
- Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome
- Roxio Creator
- Oxygen XML Editor
- Video editing tools (Adobe Premier Elements, iMovie)
- iTunes, Quicktime
- Second Life
- SFTP and SSH clients
- VMware Workstation
- ...and a lot more. Let us know if you have questions.
Doctoral Computers (Room 303):
The doctoral study room (303) also offers SPSS.
- My Computer
- Labs and Equipment
- Instructional Technology
- Mac FAQs
- Remote Access
- Using SILS Servers