The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill invites nominations and applications for the dean of the School of Information and Library Science. The dean, a senior level administrator, reports to the Executive Vice Chancellor/Provost. The position is a tenured academic appointment.
The dean is expected to:
• Provide dynamic leadership for the School’s academic programs, research, funding, faculty and staff development, and service to state and national constituents,
• Demonstrate an awareness of the dynamic and complex nature of the field and assist in maintaining the School’s leadership role,
• Possess successful management experience,
• Demonstrate a commitment to a consultative, decisive, and responsive deanship,
• Articulate the vision of the School for the University, state, and national and international communities of information professionals,
• Provide personal commitment and leadership in pursuing an effective advancement program for the School,
• Collaborate with faculty, staff, and students to translate the School’s vision into achievements in research, teaching and service.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is a Carnegie classification RU/VH university and a member of the Association of American Universities. The School of Information and Library Science, one of UNC’s twelve professional schools, offers an undergraduate major in information science and an undergraduate minor in information systems, masters’ degrees in information science and library science, and the Ph.D. The School currently has 26 faculty members, with approximately 330 graduate students and 58 undergraduate students enrolled in its programs. The School benefits from strong support within the University and collaborative efforts across the campus and with academic, corporate and government partners in the surrounding Research Triangle community.
The School is consistently ranked in national peer surveys as one of the leading programs in information and library science.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae and the names, titles, addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of five references. Applicants will be asked for permission before references are contacted.
For more information and application instructions, visit:
All applications must be submitted electronically at this site.
Review of applications will begin April 1, 2009 and continue until the position is filled. Position is available July 1, 2009. The dean serves at the pleasure of the chancellor with a five year review.
Dr. John Stamm, chair for the dean of the School of Information and Library Sciences Search Committee, is available to discuss inquiries and general information about this position (firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 919-966-3415).
Nominations may be submitted to Dr. John Stamm c/o Debbie Stevenson; 104 South Building, CB#3000, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3000.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly and actively committed to diversity.