Epsilon Chapter of Beta Phi Mu Inductees Honored - Dr. Carolyn Hank receives achievement award
The Epsilon Chapter of Beta Phi Mu, the honor society of the School of Information and Library Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, held its annual dinner meeting and induction ceremony on Tuesday, May 1st, at Maggiano's Little Italy restaurant in Durham, N.C.
"Beta Phi Mu was founded in 1948 by a group of leading librarians and library educators to recognize and encourage scholastic achievement among library and information studies students." Inductees are selected and invited into the society by SILS faculty members.
This year's program included a welcome from Epsilon Beta Phi Mu president and SILS alumna, Donna Nixon (MSLS '01), an update on the School by Dean Gary Marchionini, a special remembrance of Dr. Deborah Barreau by Dr. Brian Sturm, SILS associate professor, who said Dr. Barreau was representative of the motto of Beta Phi Mu: "consumed in the service of others." The meeting included remarks from event speaker, Gina Powell, outreach and volunteer services librarian at the North Carolina Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, who discussed her work that provides services for the blind and physically handicapped.
Along with the 16 inductees, the person selected for the annual achievement award was announced.
The annual Achievement Award winner was Carolyn Hank (Ph.D. '11). The other inductees included:
- Brooks J. Breece (MSLS '11)
- Mildred Elizabeth Davidson (MSLS '11)
- Elizabeth Sarah Dorner (MSLS '11)
- Tyler Andrew Dzuba (MSLS '11)
- Ryan M. Greenway (MSIS '11)
- Carolyn Hank (Ph.D. '11).
- Kimberly Anne Lancaster Hirsh (MSLS '11)
- Jeffery Lawrence Loo (Ph.D. '09)
- Adam Thomas Mack (MSIS '11)
- Adam J. Martin (MSIS '10)
- Pamela Herrington Mayer (MSLS '11)
- Michael Robert Nutt (MSIS '11)
- Thomas Sheffield Richey (MSLS '11)
- Terrell G. Russell (Ph.D. '11)
- Ann McKay Skaggs (MSLS '11)
- Frederic D Stutzman (Ph.D. '11)
The scholarships previously selected for two students will be awarded in August of 2012. Please watch the Web site for news about the scholarship winners when they are selected.
Congratulations to Dr. Carolyn Hank and to the Epsilon Chapter Beta Phi Mu initiates!