To meet the challenges of an evolving workplace and workforce, SILS has partnered with several other schools and programs to offer a variety of unique educational opportunities that allow students to pursue two master’s degrees simultaneously.
For more information about the Dual Degree program, please contact us via e-mail or call 919.962.8366.
The goal of the dual degrees is to maximize learning, minimize course and content overlap, and provide students with a means to earn two degrees as efficiently as possible while maintaining the integrity and high standards of each degree. The programs are designed to be completed in three academic years.
For all dual degrees:
- Students must apply to and be admitted to each graduate program separately and abide by all program requirements. So it's best that individuals identify their interest in a dual degree program prior to applying to UNC. In some cases, a student might enter one program and learn of, or gain interest in, the dual degree program during the first year. In such cases, he or she would apply for admission into the other program, informing the registrar and the coordinator in both programs at the time of application.
- University regulations require that students enroll in only one program in any given semester. So once the student is admitted into both programs independently (and thus, in effect, admitted into the dual degree program), one of the admissions must be deferred for a semester or year, depending upon the overall plan. However, he or she may still take courses in the other school or department during that period.
- Applicants must confer with the dual degree coordinators for both programs to arrange for deferred admission and to plan appropriate and efficient courses of study.
- Students may “double count” up to 20 percent of credits across degrees. For SILS students this means they can apply three courses (nine credits) from the other degree toward their MSIS or MSLS degree while also counting these credits toward the other degree.
- Dual BS-MS Program
- Archives & Records Management Concentration
- Certificate Programs
- Post-Master's Certificates
- Dual Degrees
- Evidence-Based Medicine
- Financial Information
- Field Experience
- School Library Media
- Youth Services