Join SILS in celebrating our first ever International Education Week November 16-20, 2015! A full list of events can be found here.
There are many opportunities for students to enjoy an international experience while studying at SILS. Gaining an international perspective on your studies adds invaluable depth to your understanding of many issues and points of view that are important in the world today. Students who wish to enjoy an international experience while studying at SILS are encouraged to talk to Kaitlyn Murphy, SILS International Programs Coordinator, email@example.com, 919-966-5042. The following links provide an introduction to our international offerings.
- Study Abroad Programs - SILS has formal agreements with a number of information schools around the world. In addition, UNC at Chapel Hill has formal university ties with approximately 75 other universities. In most cases, students can find courses in which they can earn Information or Library Science credit. Benefits include low cost for in-state students, full immersion into the host culture, and a wide range of subjects and courses from which to choose.
- Short-Term Summer Seminars - In partnership with Charles University in Prague and University College London in London, SILS offers summer seminars in London and Prague lasting two weeks. These seminars offer practicing library professionals and students from any LIS school a behind-the-scenes chance to explore the cultural heritage of two of Europe's most vibrant, historic, and culturally rich cities. Graduate students attending an LIS school can take these seminars for credit. You do not have to be a current student to enroll; the seminars welcome registration from current faculty, staff, and other professionals throughout the U.S. and the world.
- Certificate in International Development - The Certificate in International Development is available to all graduate students currently enrolled at UNC, and it may be awarded to students pursuing either master's or doctoral degrees. The Certificate is issued to students upon meeting all requirements and is noted on their official transcript. It is administered by UNC's Center for Global Initiatives.
- SILS Internationally Focused Courses
- Funding Resources - SILS and UNC offer a number of competitive and noncompetitive funding options for undergraduate and graduate students. These can be used for field research, study abroad, international internships, conference participation, foreign language training and more. You may also wish to visit Study Abroad 101's page on the costs of study abroad, and for tips on how to reduce your costs.
Updates on International Programs are announced via Twitter: @uncsilsglobal.
- Dual BS-MS Program
- Archives & Records Management Concentration
- Certificate Programs
- Post-Master's Certificates
- International Programs
- Evidence-Based Medicine
- Financial Information
- Field Experience
- School Library Media
- Youth Services