All university travel requires prior authorization.  Either a Faculty travel request form, Staff travel tequest form, or Student travel request form should be completed in advance regardless of funding source.  The completed form should be submitted to Tammy Cox electronically for approval at least one week prior to travel.

If faculty are interested in travel support to visit a sponsor, the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research provides small ($400) travel grants.  The application must be received and approved prior to the trip. Travel Grant Application

Air Transportation

The Central Airfare Billing System (CABS) is the preferred method for booking flights for UNC affiliates (employees and students) and non-affiliates.  This system allows tickets to be directly charged to specific accounts without causing the traveler to pay for the flight from personal funds.

In order to use CABS, affiliates/non-affiliates should book the flight through on of the authorized travel agencies (Maupin Travel 919-967-8888/888-466-6451, Travelink 919-942-4196, Travel Leaders 919-493-8292, Viking 919-968-4491).  Notify the agent that a CABS payment will be generated and forward the flight information to either Michelle Taylor or Martha Martin.  After receiving an email from both the traveler and the travel agent, either Michelle or Martha will complete the CABS and generate a "C" number for the agent.  Upon receipt of the "C" number the ticket will be issued.  Airline tickets not purchased via CABS will be processed as a reimbursement after the traveler has returned from the trip. Boarding passes must be preserved and submitted with any reimbursement involving air travel regardless of payment mechanism. 


When employees travel internationally, they are required to register in advance with the UNC Global Travel Registry .  Additionl employees must enroll in advance for coverage in the travel insurance program establish by the General Administration for the UNC system.  Staff will complete the necessary paperwork for the insurance.

When the travel is funded by federal money, faculty need to ensure that the flights both out of and into the US are on an American carrier.  You can fly business class when flying over international waters (e.g. Europe, Asia)

Ground Transportation

The preferred method of ground transportation (not associated with air transportation) is the use of a car rented through the Enterprise Rent-a-Car.  This method allows for a direct charge to the school.  Please use the link from Fleet Services ( as it will send you through the university's account with Enterprise. You will be prompted for your PID, name of the driver and a department number. 


University affiliates may opt to use per diem rates for meal reimbursement.  No receipts are needed for this reimbursement.  In rare cases excess may be paid, however, a detailed receipt is required and there is no guarantee that it will be approved. Non-affiliates cannot be reimbursed based on per diem rates.  Original, detailed receipts are required for reimbursement. 

The most up-to-date information regarding reimbursement rates is available here.  Per Diem rates are available for use by UNC affiliates only - non-affiliates must provide original receipts for reimbursements. 

Filing for Reimbursement

All travel reimbursements requests must be completed and filed for processing within 30 days of travel. (GS 138-6(c)) Therefore, a travel reimbursement form along with all receipts must be submitted no more than 25 days from return of travel. All documentation should be single sided.  Receipts should be taped to 8.5x11 paper, one side only please. Be sure that you do not tape over any of the information on the receipts. 

Departure and return times must be included for meal reimbursement calculations.  If there are any gaps in requests for reimbursements, such as not claiming a hotel for one night, include and explanation for these gaps. When meals are provided (e.g. conference dinner) a per diem cannot be claimed for that meal. 

As a general rule 90 minutes can be added to the departure time of the actual flight departure to adjust for travel from home and check-in at the airport.  For international flights add 2 hours to the flight departure time.  For day of return add 30 minutes for travel from airport to home.  This is for the calculations of which meals are allowed such as breakfast if you must depart before 6am and for dinner if you must arrive home after 8pm.

For travel funded through a grant, submit you reimbursement materials to Martha Martin.  For travel funded through  SILS Travel or state funds, submit your reimbursement materials to Michelle Taylor.