All university travel requires prior authorization.  Either a Faculty travel request form, Staff travel request formStudent travel request form. or CHIP Student travel request form should be completed in advance regardless of funding source.  The completed form will be process through Microsoft Flow for approvals. Approval must be completed before the SILS Administrative office will process requests for airline bookings or conference registration.

If faculty are interested in travel support to visit a sponsor, the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research provides small ($400) travel grants.  The application must be received and approved prior to the trip. Travel Grant Application

Air Transportation

The Central Airfare Billing System (CABS) is the preferred method for booking flights for UNC affiliates (employees and students) and non-affiliates.  This system allows tickets to be directly charged to specific accounts without causing the traveler to pay for the flight from personal funds.

In order to use CABS, affiliates/non-affiliates should book the flight through on of the authorized travel agencies (Maupin Travel 919-967-8888/888-466-6451, Travelink 919-942-4196, Travel Leaders 919-493-8292, Viking 919-968-4491).  Notify the agent that a CABS payment will be generated and forward the flight information to either appropriate staff member (  After receiving an email from the travel agent and traveler confirming the flight, SILS staff will complete the CABS and generate a "C" number for the agent.  Upon receipt of the "C" number the ticket will be issued.  Airline tickets not purchased via CABS will be processed as a reimbursement after the traveler has returned from the trip. Flights not booked through CABS can occasionally be delayed in reimbursements as charges are clarified.  Boarding passes must be preserved and submitted with any reimbursement involving air travel regardless of payment mechanism. 


When employees travel internationally, they are required to register in advance with the UNC Global Travel Registry .  Additionally employees must be enroll in advance for coverage in the travel insurance program establish by the General Administration for the UNC system.  SILS staff will complete the necessary paperwork for the insurance.

When the travel is funded by federal money, faculty need to ensure that the flights both out of and into the US are on an American carrier.  You can fly business class if the length non-stop segment is at least 8 hours in duration.

Hotels & Accommodations

Employees should always request “government/state employee” rates.  The maximum State lodging rate for in-State travel is $71.20; for out-of-State $84.10. Because this rate may not be attainable, travelers must complete an Excess Lodging Form and have it signed by their supervisor before the trip if a hotel rate, excluding taxes and surcharges, exceeds $300 per night (or $400 per night if traveling in the following high cost cities: Boston, New York City, San Francisco and the Bay area, Washington DC, Los Angeles). Submit the approved form with your travel reimbursement.  Failure to complete the form prior to the trip may result in denial of reimbursement for lodging expenses. 

If non-hotel lodging (such as Airbnb) is desired, a Non-Hotel Lodging Authorization Request must be completed and approved by Travel Services before the trip, along with quotes from hotels in the same area for the same time.  Failure to complete the form prior to the trip may result in denial of reimbursement for lodging expenses.

The complete policy and forms can be found at

Conference Registration

If employees will be attending a conference there are two options for paying for the registration. Employees can pay for the conference directly, and be reimbursed for the cost after returning from the trip.  If the employee prefers to not be out of pocket the cost of the registration, they should work with Susan Sylvester in order to process payment via the PCard.  

Ground Transportation

The preferred method of ground transportation (not associated with air transportation) is the use of a car rented through the Enterprise Rent-a-Car.  This method allows for a direct charge to the school.  Please use the link from Fleet Services ( you will need to set up an account with EHIDirect, insturctions on doing that can be found on the website. 


University affiliates may opt to use per diem rates for meal reimbursement.  No receipts are needed for this reimbursement.  In rare cases excess may be paid, however, a detailed receipt is required and there is no guarantee that it will be approved. Non-affiliates cannot be reimbursed based on per diem rates.  Original, detailed receipts are required for reimbursement. 

The most up-to-date information regarding reimbursement rates is available here.  Per Diem rates are available for use by UNC affiliates only - non-affiliates must provide original receipts for reimbursements. 

Filing for Reimbursement

All travel reimbursements requests must be completed and filed for processing within 30 days of travel. (GS 138-6(c)) Therefore, a travel reimbursement form along with all receipts must be submitted no more than 21 days from return of travel. All documentation should be single sided.  Receipts should be taped to 8.5x11 paper, one side only please. Be sure that you do not tape over any of the information on the receipts. If original receipts were electronic they may be submitted electronically.

Departure and return times must be included for meal reimbursement calculations.  If there are any gaps in requests for reimbursements, such as not claiming a hotel for one night, include an explanation for these gaps. When meals are provided (e.g. conference dinner) a per diem cannot be claimed for that meal. 

As a general rule 90 minutes can be added to the departure time of the actual flight departure to adjust for travel to airport.  For international flights add 2 hours to the flight departure time.  For day of return add 30 minutes for travel from airport.  This is for the calculations of which meals are allowed, for breakfast you must depart before 6am and for dinner if you must arrive home after 8pm.

Submit your travel reimbursement form with the documentation to

Travel Reimbursement form (for travel after July 1, 2019)