Paying Guests/Visitors

If you plan on paying the guest/visitor for services please contact Tammy Cox.  Additionally, you will need to read the guidelines about Independent Contractors/Speakers.


If you have a guest who will be coming for the entire day and need to schedule reserved parking contact Susan Sylvester at least a 13 business days in advance.   Include the following information with your request: number of spaces required, name of driver(s), date & time frame of visit, reason for visit, and funding source.   A full-day reservation costs $14. 

For any visitor who will not be on campus all day, parking coupons will be issued. Please contact Susan Sylvester in advance to obtain the coupons.  Your visitor can park in either the Morehead, or Rams Head Visitors lots. 

NOTE: Employees and students are not eligible to park in visitor parking areas with the exception of the Rams Head Deck, which is specifically available for visitors to campus and to meet the short-term parking needs of both students and employees.  This includes employees who do not work on main campus.


To arrange for a taxi for a visitor contact the dean's assistant at least three weeks in advance.  The sooner you can send the information the more likely it will be that a taxi can be scheduled with our preferred car service.  The following information should be included with your request; name of visitor, cell phone number for visitor, time to be picked up, flight information (if applicable), and funding source.  The car service we use does direct bill.  Currently, the cost for a trip from campus to the airport is $50.

If you need a last minute taxi you have two options:

RDU taxi 919-840-7277

Destiny Transportation 919-418-8294

(neither of these locations currently direct bill to the school)

Air Travel

Visitors can be set up in the university system which will allow them to book travel through CABS, avoiding out of pocket expenses for them.  In order to do this, visitors will need to fill out a Vendor Form. The completed vendor form should be submitted to Tammy Cox.  Once entered into the system, the visitor should contact Maupin Travel (1-888-446-6461) or one of the other approved travel agencies.  Travel arrangements are made by the traveler, not by SILS staff.  The traveler should inform the agent the ticket will be paid for by SILS, UNC-Chapel Hill through a CAB. The visitor should ask the travel agent to forward flight information to Susan Sylvester for complete processing.  Boarding passes must be retained and submitted with any subsequent travel reimbursement request. 

Hotel Reservations

The university receives special rates at most of the area hotels, among them are the Carolina Inn, The Franklin, and the Siena.  These hotels can be booked at the university rate even if the visitor will be pay the cost of the room.  Please contact Susan Sylvester to make reservations at one of these hotels or for information about other area hotels.  Please be sure to include the guest's name, check in and out dates and funding source.


In order for a visitor to be reimbursed for travel expenses, visitors will need to complete a Vendor Form, if they are not already in the system.  International visitors will need to submit a copy of their passports.  Visitors will also need to submit a Non-affiliate Travel Reimbursement Form with all original receipts taped on 8.5x11 paper.   Visitors are not eligible for the state employee per diem as they are not state employees.  Itemized receipts are mandated by the university in order to process a meal reimbursement.  A credit card receipt does not include the level of detail required by the university for a reimbursement.