About Our Collecton
The SILS Library consists of over 99,000 volumes. We check in approximately 1,300 serials titles every year. The professional collection (Library of Congress classification) consists of materials in information and library science, and related fields. Books, periodicals, newsletters, indexes in paper and CD-Rom format, annual reports, information and library science schools catalogs, vertical file, and audio-visual materials are included in this collection.
The professional collection (Library of Congress classification) consists of materials in information and library science, and related fields. Books, periodicals, newsletters, indexes in paper and CD-Rom format, annual reports, information and library science schools catalogs, vertical file, and audio-visual materials are included in this collection.
The juvenile collection (Dewey Decimal classification), designed to support courses in children's literature, school librarianship, and children's librarianship in public libraries, consists of the Easy collection, juvenile fiction, juvenile non-fiction, juvenile historical (non-circulating), pop-up books, and audio-visual materials. This collection is designed for support of courses taught in the School of Information and Library Science and in the School of Education.
Online Databases and Databases on CD-Rom are available from the library's public terminals. These include the Triangle Research Libraries Network (TRLN) consortium cooperative on-line catalog providing access to the library catalogs of UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke University, North Carolina Central University, and North Carolina State University. Also available is NC Live, a consortial initiative allowing North Carolina libraries to serve as a gateway to a rich array of electronic resources, many of which are full-text. CD-ROM sources include Library Literature, LISA, Books in Print, and Ulrich's Serials Directory. Cooperation with the Academic Affairs Library and the School's Computer Laboratory ensure access to a growing range of Internet and local information resources.
Reserve books and articles are selected and placed "On Reserve" by Faculty teaching courses in the School. Some undergraduate course materials are placed on reserve in the Undergraduate Library. Check in the Reserve Notebook sitting on the low counter at the Help Desk if you have questions about where reserve materials are located. Books on reserve in the SILS Library are located behind the Help Desk. You will need your One Card to check out these materials. Books generally circulate for 2 hours, but can have varying loan periods. Photocopied articles are housed on the open shelves near the Help Desk, and are for in-library use only.
A photocopy machine is available in the library on the first floor, behind the stairs. It will take coins and UNC One Cards. Visitors to the campus may purchase a University Guest Card on sale at Photocopy services in Student Stores. Value may be added to cards in Davis Library and the Undergraduate Library.
- Periodicals are located on the main floor behind the elevator (alphabetical by title). Older runs are located on level 4. Periodical folios are located in the library workroom.
- Newsletters, and Annual Reports are on the main floor behind elevator.
Juvenile Fiction, Juvenile Non-Fiction are located on the main floor behind the elevator.
- Juvenile Picture Books are located in the alcove and the short bookcase in the Reading Room.
- Graphic Novel Collection is located in the Reading Room on either side of the elevator.
- LC Circulating Collection is located on levels 2, 3 and 4.
- LC Folio (oversized books) are located on level 4.
- Foreign Language Periodicals (bound) are at the Library Service Center; please use the online request form. The most current issues are with the periodicals; the bound volumes are in the SILS Cage on level 3. (Please request assistance from the SILS Library Staff.)
- Masters Papers (circulating) are on the main floor behind the elevator.
- SILS Dissertations, and non-circulating copies of Masters Papers are on Level 3 in the locked SILS Cage. (Please request assistance from the SILS Library Staff.)
- Non-Print Materials are on Level 4.