As announced last fall, the Carolina Library Community building effort is part of the campus-wide UNC Class of 2011 Build a Block project which is a student-led initiative to build 10 houses for families of UNC staff over the 2010-2011 academic school year.
Working with Habitat for Humanity of Orange County, Library staff and student workers; faculty, staff, students and alumni from SILS; and library friends from campus and the community have contributed to the construction of a house for a family in need. Those involved in the Carolina Library Community project need to raise $35,000 and provide 2,000 hours of labor during the 2010-11 academic year. To date, $14,599 towards the goal has been raised.
As a member of the Carolina Library Community, you are invited to join us as we continue to build and raise funds. You may want to join in for a build date for our group. Those interested may sign up on the Build a Block Web site at: http://www.uncbuildablock.org
Once you’re at the site, click on the Volunteer link at the top of the page. You can easily set up a user account and see what builds are available at the Phoenix Place site. The Carolina Library Community join code is 69.
Some of the recent efforts to raise funds for the project include:
- Beach Bingo for Habitat that raised over $300.
- $4 Fridays - is still going through the end of April. This effort has raised $1,414 with a grand total of $2,414 with Sarah Michalak's matching funds.
- Snack sale in Health Sciences Library (HSL) during spring break raised over $300.
- Cupcake Walk - scheduled for April 27th, the last day of classes. Outside of Davis library - 11 a.m.
- "Dunk-a-Dean" and "Pie-a-Professor activities in the Pit on the UNC at Chapel Hill campus. This event will take place from noon to 3 p.m. on May 3rd.
- Silent Auction - Summer 2011. The team leaders will be asking for donated items or services from the community.
- Cutest Pet Contest - Votes will take place during the "All Staff BBQ" on May 24th. There is a fee per entry and prizes for the winners.
- Snack sale in HSL during finals.
As you can see, there are several creative efforts in play to raise funds for the build with more work to be done and $20,000 to raise.
If you wish to donate to the project, please select the link to donate at the top of the Build a Block Web page. This will take you to a secure form to donate by credit card. If you choose to donate this way, be sure to select Carolina Library Community under "My gift supports a Habitat Champion!" If you don't, the money will still go to Habitat for Humanity, but it will not be credited to the Library Community effort.
If you want to donate by check, that's great, too! Make any checks out to “Habitat for Humanity of Orange County” (NOT to UNC, the Library or to SILS), add a memo that the funds are for the Carolina Library Community. You may send checks or drop them off at either the SILS Administrative Office at Manning Hall or to the Library Administration Office in Davis Library.
For more information about the Carolina Library Community project, contact one of the following individuals:
• Tyler Dzuba, president, Information and Library Science Student Association, SILS, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Ashlee Edwards, president, Information Science Student Undergraduates Empowered (ISSUE), SILS, email@example.com
• Peggy Myers, University Library, firstname.lastname@example.org, 919-843-5651
Your contributions really count to helping a UNC at Chapel Hill family in need of a home! Please join the Carolina Library Community effort!
Keep up with the latest at: http://sils.unc.edu/SILSHabitat
UNC's Build a Block program is in the news!
Chapel Hill News: