The panel topics include innovation, water – the focus of Carolina’s two-year academic theme – and the future of the U.S. public research university. The panels will begin at 3 p.m. on Oct. 11 at the Carolina Inn.
“Chancellor Folt had the great idea to host panels as a way to spotlight the excitement and importance of research activities underway on our campus,” says Joe Templeton, the Francis Preston Venable Professor of Chemistry and former chair of the faculty. “The panelists were selected for their knowledge and their impact after gathering input from the deans.”
Water in Our World
Moderator: Terry Rhodes, a professor in the music department and senior associate dean for fine arts and humanities in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Jamie Bartram, director of the Water Institute at UNC and the Don and Jennifer Holzworth Distinguished Professor in the environmental sciences and engineering department in the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health.
- Carol Seagle Hee, executive director of the Center for Sustainable Enterprise and assistant professor of strategy and entrepreneurship at UNC’s Kenan-Flagler Business School.
- Donald Thomas Hornstein, Aubrey L. Brooks Professor of Law at UNC School of Law.
Innovation and Impact
Moderator: Kristen M. Swanson, dean of UNC’s School of Nursing, Alumni Distinguished Professor at UNC and associate chief nursing officer for academic affairs at UNC Hospitals.
- Cheryl Woods Giscombe, assistant professor in the UNC School of Nursing.
- Zeynep Tufekci, assistant professor in UNC’s School of Information and Library Science.
- Will Vizuete, associate professor in the environmental sciences and engineering department in the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health.
4:20-5 p.m., Hill Ballroom
Moderator: John McGowan, a professor in the English and comparative literature department in UNC’s College of Arts and Sciences, director of the Institute for Arts and Humanities and the Ruel W. Tyson Jr. Distinguished Professor of the Humanities.
- Maryann P. Feldman, Heninger Distinguished Professor in the public policy department in UNC’s College of Arts and Sciences.
- James H. Johnson Jr., director of the Urban Investment Strategies Center and the William R. Kenan Jr. Distinguished Professor of Strategy and Entrepreneurship in UNC’s Kenan-Flagler Business School.
- Kim Strom-Gottfried, Smith P. Theimann Distinguished Professor for Ethics and Professional Practice in UNC’s School of Social Work.
Folt will be installed as chancellor on Oct. 12, University Day. The ceremony will be held at Polk Place, on the steps of South Building. Guests are encouraged to be seated at 1:30 p.m. for the ceremony.