The First Destinations report, compiled and published by the UNC School of Information and Library Science (SILS), provides an overview of the initial career paths taken by December 2015, May 2016, and August 2016 graduates of the School’s Bachelor of Science in Information Science (BSIS), Master of Science in Library Science (MSLS), and Master of Science in Information Science (MSIS) programs.
Click here for a pdf with highlights from the report.
The 2016 report shows that the majority of BSIS and MSIS graduates went to work in private industry (77% and 55% respectively), while 50% of MSLS graduates found positions in academic settings. Employers ranged from Cisco, SAS, IBM, and Amazon to the University of Chicago, Yale University, Australia National University, and the National Archives. SILS Career Service Coordinator Lori Haight reaches out to graduates each year to learn where their degrees have taken them.
Spring career and professional development events for SILS students
- Visit from Atkins Library Representatives, Wednesday, Feb. 17, 12 pm, Manning 014. Learn more about the Atkins Fellows program at UNC Charlotte. Digital Production Librarian Rita Johnston and University Archivist Katie Howell will share information about the Digital Image Processing and Born-Digital University Records positions available through the program.
- Cisco Networking Night, Monday, Feb. 20, 6:00-7:30 pm, FPG Student Union. Undergraduate students are encouraged to attend to learn more about internship, co-op, and full-time job opportunities.
- Diversity Career Fair, Wednesday, Feb. 22, 3:00-6:00 pm, Great Hall, Student Union
- Spring Job & Internship Expo, Thursday, Feb. 23, 12:00-4:00 pm, Ram’s Head Recreation Center
- SILSAA Speed Networking, Wednesday, March 1, 5:30pm to 7:00pm, location TBA. Meet a variety of library and information professionals, hear about their workplaces, and talk about your own interests and skills.
- SILS Etiquette Dinner, Thursday, March 9, 5:30pm, Ackland Art Museum. Space is limited. Click here to register.
- SILS CRADLE Talk by Josh Rice (BSIS ’13, MSIS ’14), Consulting Engineer at ClearShark, Friday, March 24, 12:00 pm, Manning 208.
Watch the listservs, digital monitors in Manning, and sils.unc.edu/events for information on additional events, including an advising night for students interested in library services for youth and an innovation-focused event on April 20.
Join the SILS job listservs
SILS shares information received from employers through two listservs:
- SILS-Jobs has information about full-time positions for students who will soon graduate or alumni. Join the list by sending a message to the List Server. Send subscribe SILS-Jobs as the body of your mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org leaving the Subject: field blank.
- SILS-StudentJobs has information about part-time jobs, internships, or fellowships that may appeal to current students. Join the list by sending a message to the List Server. Send subscribe SILS-StudentJobs as the body of your mail message to email@example.com leaving the Subject: field blank.