Carolina will be the model for the great global public research university of the 21st century -- an increasingly indispensable resource for the people in North Carolina and the world. As a part of Carolina’s comprehensive, eight-year campaign, SILS aims to raise at least $16 million (roughly ¾ endowment). Fall 2017 is the campaign’s expected public launch.
SILS Goal 1:
Students and the Educational Experience. Our core principles include access, affordability and attainment. We will provide every student with extraordinary learning that unleashes their full potential.
SILS working goal: $7.5MM (predominantly endowment)
- $6MM student support (assistantships, fellowships, scholarships)
- $1MM inclusion/diversity (Graduate Student Excellence Fund; biennial Diversity/Inclusion Program)
- $500K “Telling Our Story” (symposia, student recruitment/marketing messaging)
- Strengthen student access, recruitment, and retention.
- Accelerate teaching and learning innovation.
- Expand experiential learning.
- Broaden student global experience.
- Strengthen campus infrastructure to optimize student learning.
SILS Goal 2:
Faculty and Scholarship. As the preferred choice of the world’s most outstanding faculty, we promote conditions that support inquiry, discovery, excellent teaching & public service.
SILS working goal: $4MM (endowment)
- Endow (*) at least one senior-level professorship ($2,000,000 naming - minimum)
- Endow (*) term professorships ($1,000,000 naming – minimum)
*existing faculty lines
- Recruit and retain world-class faculty.
- Foster environment conductive to faculty creativity and collaboration.
- Expand the global reach of research.
- Strengthen campus infrastructure to optimize research productivity.
SILS Goal 3:
Realize SILS’ transformation from a mainly educational institution to an educational, research and economic enterprise that is an idea and action engine.
SILS working goal: $4.5MM (endowment and expendable)
1. Research Collaboratories in our areas of excellence ($1.5M)
2. High-Demand BSIS degree (information science) & Professional Science Master’s
3. Greater Reach
- Bring a sharp strategic focus and active management discipline to innovation (high potential/high reward), as evidenced by more start-ups, grants and income streams.
- Create more internships and immersions and expand corporate partnerships.
- Establish new, relevant certifications and executive programs (local to global impact).