The Master of Science in Library Science (MSLS) degree at the UNC School of Information and Library Science (SILS) prepares students for prestigious careers in library and information science. The program guides students toward expertise in collecting, organizing, storing, and retrieving the world’s recorded knowledge, with an emphasis on developing superior, evidence-based practices for the dynamic and changing arena of information management. Students acquire a strong theoretical knowledge of information science, and learn how those theories apply in real-world situations through jobs, assistantships, original research, and community service.
Graduates of the MSLS program are ready to lead the development of new services and technologies to improve access for information users. They find exciting careers around the world in a variety of settings including academic institutions, government agencies, archives, public and special libraries, school library media centers, non-profits and cultural institutions, and other information agencies. They often specialize in areas such as archive and records management, youth librarianship in schools or public libraries, database administration, reference services and information access, data curation, digital archives, cataloging, and special collection development.
If you have questions regarding the MSLS program, please feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Top photo: A tech-infused book created by Ally Fiets for SILS Assistant Professor Maggie Melo's fall 2019 special topics course Information Professionals in the Makerspace. Fiets used 3D printing, laser cutting, and augmented reality to create her book. Through the HP Reveal app, viewers can watch a dance recital in the tiny theater by pointing their smart phones at the ballerina.
MSLS students may gain professional experience in an information organization, while receiving class credit through the Field Experience Program. Students are mentored by a supervising professional in the organization, as well as by a SILS professor.
For information on tuition, fees, and other financial information please see our Financial Information page.
Student retention and graduation rates
For information about student retention, average time to degree completion, and post-graduate success rates, please click visit our Student Achievement Data page.
- Online application and nonrefundable $95.00 application fee.
- Three letters of recommendation solicited by entering recommenders email addresses into online application.
- International applicants must send scores on the TOEFL.
- Unofficial copies of transcripts for each school attended.
- Resume including work experience, special abilities, and skills.
- Statement of purpose.
For more details, visit our Graduate Admissions Page.
Job titles of recent MSLS graduates:
- Digital Assets Librarian, Hillwood Estate, Museum, and Garden, Washington, D.C.
- Electronic Resources Management Librarian, Duke University
- STEM Librarian, Northwestern University Libraries
- Teen Services Librarian, Madison, Wisconsin
- Community Engagement Librarian, NC Live
- Natural Science and Mathematics Librarian, University of Houston
- Research Librarian for Music and Performing Arts at University of Virginia
- Web Application Developer, Wildfire
- Emerging Technologies Librarian, Appalachian State University
- North Carolina Collection Librarian, Durham County Library
- School Librarian, Mount Vernon Middle School, Wake County, NC
- User Experience Resident Librarian, University of Chicago Library
- Associate Registrar, Muscarelle Museum of Art, Williamsburg, Va.
- Senior Developer, Analytics at Hearful
- Health Sciences Librarian, IUPUI
- Access and Outreach Services Librarian, Randolph College
- Digital Collections Specialist in Learning Sciences, Vanderbilt University
- Humanities and Fine Arts Librarian, University of Minnesota-Duluth
- Chatham Community Library Youth Services Librarian
- First Year Instruction and Social Sciences Librarian, UNC-Greensboro
- Digital Scholarship Librarian, University of Delaware
- Programming Librarian, Santa Barbara Public Library
- Member Relations Manager, Connecticut Library Consortium (CLC)
- Undergraduate Engagement Librarian, Virginia Tech
- Management Fellow, San Mateo County Libraries
- Archives Technician, National Archives and Records Administration
- Instructional Services Coordinator, Binghamton University Libraries
- Metadata Specialist, Digital Indy Grant
- Design Assistant/Asset Management, Glen Raven
- Library Specialist, Boulder Public Library