Majoring or minoring in Information Science requires an application. The application will open from September 1- September 30, for spring 2017 admission.
If you plan to pursue the Dual Bachelor's - Master's Degree, please fill out the statement of intent form (in addition to the online application), and turn it in to the Undergraduate Student Services Coordinator during the application cycle.
Undergraduate students who have completed all pre-requisites may apply for the Information Science major. The Information Systems minor does not require pre-requisite courses. Participation is limited and admission will be competitive. Criteria for admission include the candidate's academic record, work and extra-curricular experience, and substantive thinking about the role of information in society. Candidates from a variety of disciplinary backgrounds are sought. Level of prior computer experience is not a criterion for admission.
To view the requirements for each program, please refer to the appropriate link:
- Bachelor of Science in Information Science Curriculum
- Dual Bachelor's - Master's Curriculum
- Information Systems Minor Curriculum
To apply to the BSIS major or IS minor, you will need to "Apply for Change of Major” in Connect Carolina. The option is available from the “other academic…” dropdown menu, located under the Academics section of the Student Center tab.
- Select the major/minor you wish to apply for from the “Major” dropdown menu.
- Update the “Request to” and “Term” dropdown menu
- Click the “I Agree” checkbox in order for the “Submit Request” to become available.
Once the request has been submitted, a nightly process will create a file to be sent to Slate (application manager). Slate will send an invitation email to you to complete the transfer application.
The application requires the following to be uploaded into Slate:
- A copy of your UNC transcript (Print a copy of your internal transcript from your MyUNC portal and upload it as a PDF). (Instructions can be found here.)
- A brief essay in response to one (1) essay question (Additional instructions regarding supplemental documents can be found on the application program page.)
External Transfer Students: External transfer students must indicate that they wish to pursue a major in Information Science on their application from Undergraduate Admissions. Transfer students may transfer directly into the School of Information and Library Science, however your application is completed through Undergraduate Admissions. Application deadlines for external transfer students are also set by Undergraduate Admissions. Please check these deadlines here prior to applying. Any pre-requisite courses not completed prior to applying must be completed during your first semester at UNC.
SILS undergraduate applications are open during the following times:
- Applications for Fall: February 1 - March 1
- Applications for Spring: September 1 - September 30
Admission policies are available in the School's Undergraduate Handbook. Please contact the Undergraduate Student Services Manager for questions or to be placed on an interest list so you can be informed of when the application is available.