Undergraduate students who have completed the prerequisites may apply for the Information Science major or minor.
Criteria for admission include the candidate's academic record, work and extra-curricular experience, and substantive thinking about the role of information in society. Candidates from a variety of disciplinary backgrounds are sought. Admission to SILS depends on the feasibility of applicants completing the curriculum within the designated 8 terms in residence. Application review is holistic.
Please fill out the SILS Undergraduate Interest Form to receive intermittent application and program updates.
Admission for Spring: September 1 - October 1
Admission for Fall: February 1 - March 1
Applications can be requested on the first day of the application cycle and must be completed within the designated time frame. Late applications are not accepted.
- Completion of all four prerequisite courses for the major; completion of at least one INLS course for the minor
- A brief essay in response to the following question:
- In 100 to 300 words explain why you want to pursue an information science (IS) major/minor. More specifically, 1) what experiences led you to realize you would benefit from further education in IS, and 2) how will pursing an education in IS enable you to achieve your future plans?
- Letters of recommendation optional
How to Apply
- "Apply for Change of Major” in ConnectCarolina pn the first day of the application cycle. The option is available from the “other academic…” dropdown menu, located under the Academics section of the Student Center tab.
- Select the major/minor you wish to apply for from the “Major” dropdown menu.
- Update the “Request to” and “Term” dropdown menu
- Click the “I Agree” checkbox in order for the “Submit Request” to become available.
- You must submit a change of major request at least one day in advance of the deadline in order for the application to be completed on time, it is strongly recommended you do so on the first day of the application cycle.
- Within 24 hours on business days, you will receive an invitation to complete the application via email.
- Applications are reviewed after the application closes for each cycle. Decisions are typically made and sent to candidates within one month of the application closing. Late and paper applications are not accepted.
- If admitted, you must "accept" your admissions decision in ConnectCarolina
- Attend new student orientation
To view the requirements for each program, please refer to the appropriate link:
External Transfer Students
External transfer students must indicate that they wish to pursue a major in Information Science on their application from Undergraduate Admissions. Transfer students sometimes transfer directly into the School of Information and Library Science, however your application is completed through Undergraduate Admissions. Application deadlines for external transfer students are also set by Undergraduate Admissions. Please check these deadlines here prior to applying. Any pre-requisite courses not completed prior to applying must be completed during your first semester at UNC.
External transfer students who do not directly transfer into the program must apply through ConnectCarolina, during the designated application times, and meet the same requirements as all other applicants.