- SILS 3D Printing Open House - Thursday, April 28, 1:00-3:00 p.m. and Friday, April 29, 1:00-3:30 p.m. - Take a break from studying for exams and come check out the SILS 3D Printer in the SILS Collaboratory Space (in the back corner of the SILS Library, next to the computers).
- Film Restoration Workshop - Tuesday, May 3, 9 a.m.-12 p.m., Manning 208. Registration required. Paolo Tosini, founder and former director of the Film Restoration Lab of the National Film Archive in Mexico, will demonstrate how to use modern digital techniques on a 100-year-old movie (and younger ones!).
- Amanda Click’s dissertation defense - Wednesday, May 4, 1 p.m., Manning 14 - "Adapting to Higher Education in a New Culture: International Students' Perspectives on Research, Writing, and Academic Integrity"
- LAUNC-CH Research Forum - Friday, May 6, 1:00-4:30 p.m., Wilson Library- Posters, lightning talks, and presentations. SILS presenters include Maria Chiochios, Deborah Hirsch, Stephanie Hsieh, David Tenenholtz, Chana Kraus-Friedberg, and Amelia Holmes.
- SILS Spring Commencement - Sunday, May 8, 1 p.m. FPG Student Union. Tickets required. - Welcome by Ashlee Edwards (BSIS '11, Ph.D. '16). Commencement address by Barbara Wildemuth, SILS Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
- Sumayya Ahmed's dissertation defense - Monday, May 9, 2 p.m., Manning 208 - "We Call on Citizens to be Aware of the Value of what is in Their Homes: A Case Study of the Hassan II Prize for Manuscripts and Archival Documents"
- Google I/O Extended-Chapel Hill - Wednesday, May 18, 10:30 a.m.-4 p.m., Morehead Science Center. - Information about Google, tech sessions, panels, and live video from I/O. Space is limited. Be sure to register.
- CHIP Practicum Presentation by Bonmi Koo, Tuesday, May 31, 11:00 a.m., HSL 227 - "An analysis of personal experience of chronic illness management based on the Social Model of Personal Health Informatics"
- CHIP Practicum Presentation by Priyanka Bhojwani, Tuesday, May 31, 3:45 p.m., HSL 227 - "An analysis of process issues in the evaluation of psychiatric patients at UNC Health Care’s Emergency Department"
- 2016 ALA Reception - Sunday, June 26, 5-7 p.m., Copper Canyon Grill, Orlando - Catch up with friends and former classmates and learn more about some of the latest happenings at UNC with updates from SILS Dean Gary Marchionini and University Librarian and Associate Provost Sarah C. Michalak.
Attention, SILS Class of 2016:
To continue receiving the monthly news@sils e-newsletter and occasional emails about events and opportunities, sign up for the SILS alumni listserv by sending an email to email@example.com with the word SUBSCRIBE in the subject line.
If you haven’t already, please like the SILS Facebook page, follow us on Twitter, and request to join the SILS Alumni Association LinkedIn group.
As the months and years progress, let us know whenever you have news such as a new job, honor, recognition, or life change by sending e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the details.
Congratulations and best wishes for you continued success!
This is a special "last day of class" edition of news@sils. The next news@sils will be sent on May 18. If you have an event or news item you would like to have featured, be sure to submit it through the event form or in an email to email@example.com by Monday, May 16. SILS alumni, look for a special spring news e-bulletin in late May with additional news stories and updates on SILS graduates.