Information & Library Science Student Association (ILSSA)
ILSSA officers are liaisons between SILS students and faculty, alumni, and the Graduate & Professional Student Federation.
The organization provides a forum for discussion and action regarding school policies and issues, plans social events, and coordinates professional development opportunities. All SILS students are automatically ILSSA members.
- President: Rachel Anne Spencer
- Vice President: Rachel Anne Morris
- Secretary & Technical Coordinator: Cait Kennedy
- Treasurer: Richa Kanwar
- Social Co-Chairs: William Osborne & Carmen Dolling
- New Student Outreach Coordinator: Meg Foster
- Faculty Liaison: Dean Gary Marchionini
Doctoral Students Association (DSA)
The DSA is the official organization for SILS PhD students. All doctoral students are automatically members of the DSA. The organization works towards improving communication among doctoral students, masters students and faculty by participating in SILS governance and sending representatives to most SILS committees. They elect officers annually in November and hold monthly meetings.
- DSA Chair: Elliott Hauser
- Full-Time Representative: Yuanye Ma
- Part-Time Representative: Heather Barnes
Information Science Student Undergraduates Empowered (ISSUE)
ISSUE was founded to promote the education of undergraduate information science students. The organization fosters communication among undergraduates, graduate students, staff and faculty; acclimates undergraduates into the SILS community; builds public awareness of information science; and represents the interests of undergraduates. Membership is extended to all undergraduate majors and minors and other undergraduates taking classes at SILS.
- President: Jennie Davidowitz
- Vice President: Jessica Head
- Employer Relations Chair: Stevia Tedjawiguna
- Recruitment Chairs: Akhari Brown
- Social Media Chair: Caleece Nash
CheckedOut: SILS Diversity
CheckedOut is the SILS student organization that promotes discussion of diversity issues in LIS education and the field.
- President: Cait Kennedy
- Secretary and Community Liasion: Ness Shortley
- Treasurer and Communications Coordinator: Erin Black
Art & Museum Library & Information Student Society (AMLISS)
AMLISS aims to provide students with the opportunity to explore art, museum and visual resources librarianship and records management. Through lectures, workshops, special events and visits to museum and art libraries, AMLISS will promote these areas of specialization within the field of library and information science and records management to any interested students.
- President: Kristina Bush
- Vice President: Erin Rutherford
- Secretary: Taylor Barrett
- Treasurer: Still open
- Webmaster: Veronic McGurrin
- Advisor: J.J. Bauer
Association for Information Science & Technology (ASIS&T)
ASIS&T is the professional society for information science, fostering intellectual discourse and career development for information professionals worldwide.
The student chapter advances those goals at the local level, by sponsoring lectures, panel discussions, field trips, and other activities. They focus on areas such as database administration, information architecture, user-centered design, and web development.
- President: Erin Black
- Vice President: Saumya Jain
- Secretary: Rachel Anne Spencer
- Treasurer: Sarah Beth Marriott
- Webmaster: Maudrie Alexis
- Faculty Liaison: Dr. Brad Hemminger
Coalition of Youth Librarians (COYL)
The Coalition of Youth Librarians (COYL) provides academic support, professional development, and socialization for SILS students pursuing School Media and Youth Services Librarianship.
- President: Ness Shortley
- Vice President/Communications Chair: Mara Rosenberg
- Treasurer/Social Chair: Dezarae Osborne
Special Libraries Association (SLA)
A special library is an information agency sponsored by a private company, government agency, a not-for-profit organization, or a professional association. The student chapter of the SLA educates and involves students in special information and library center work environments and sponsors speakers from the professional community and frequent tours to area special libraries. Membership in a student chapter of the SLA helps to establish a close relationship between the individual and the state and national organization.
- President: Caitlin Rivas
- Vice President: Kathryn R. Herring
- Secretary: Hayley Wilson
- Treasurer: Sam Awad
- Faculty Liaison: Rebecca Vargha
Student Chapter of the American Library Association (SCALA)
The student chapter facilitates and encourages participation in the ALA and works to increase awareness and use of ALA resources. Also, SCALA provides a local forum for exchange of ideas and information about trends, issues and opportunities in the profession.
- President: Amelia Midgett-Nicholson
- Vice President: Sarah Sculnick
- Secretary: Caitlin Kennedy
- Webmaster: Ness Shortley
- Treasurer: Still open
- Faculty Liaison: Dr. Claudia Gollop
Student Chapter of the Society of American Archivists (SCOSAA)
SCOSAA is dedicated to the professional development of SILS students by broadening their understanding of issues related to the archival, museum, and cultural heritage professions. The student chapter organizes field trips, schedules speakers and explores volunteer and field experience possibilities.
- President: Morgan Healy
- Vice President: Meredith Campbel
- Secretary: Emma Evans
- Treasurer: Lauren Geiger
- Webmaster: Christina Cortland
- Faculty Liaison: Dr. Helen Tibbo
ALA? MLA? CLA? PLA? ASIS&T ACRL? ALISE? AMIA? Feel like you're drowning in an alphabet soup of acronyms since joining the library and information science world? Click the button below for a list with links and context for the most prominent state, national, and international professional organizations. Our list may not be comprehensive, but it’s a good place to start.