The SILS Field Experience Program enables students to gain 135 hours of professional experience in an information organization while receiving 3 hours of class credit. If students would like to take more than one Field Experience, see options on the Field Experience Registration page. Organizations interested in hosting SILS field experience interns should fill out the New Site Form.
Students are mentored by both a supervising professional in the organization (site supervisor) and a full-time SILS faculty member (faculty supervisor), and engage in a course seminar.
SILS graduate and undergraduate students are eligible for this program. The Field Experience Program is intended for SILS students who have completed their junior year (undergraduates) or at least 18 credit hours toward their MSLS or MSIS (graduate students). Questions or comments about the Field Experience Program should be directed to:
Dr. Lori Haight
Director of Career Services
T: (919) 962-2226
F: (919) 962-8071
For a complete list of the Field Experience guidelines, please refer to the menu to the left or to the links below:
- Roles and Responsibilities: Learn who does what in each role of the Field Experience
- Developing Learning Objectives: Tips on how to pinpoint Field Experience goals
- Site Selection: Tips on how to select a site that will meet learning objectives
- Sites: List of sites interested in hosting SILS Field Experience interns (updated regularly)
- Registration: Learn how to register for the Field Experience (INLS 393 or INLS 795)
- Deliverables: List of work/forms that should be submitted during the student's Field Experience
If you have further questions about Field Experience guidelines, please contact the Director of Career Services, Lori Haight, at firstname.lastname@example.org.