The primary mission of the UNC School of Information and Library Science (SILS) Alumni Association (SILSAA) is to foster positive and productive relationships between SILS alumni and current students. SILSAA provides opportunities for alumni to give back to current students, maintain contact with classmates, develop new contacts within the library and information professions, and draw attention to distinguished achievement within the SILS family.
Recognizing that the continued health and success of our profession depends upon excellent information and library education, and that strong ties between alumni and the school contribute to a robust educational program, SILSAA supports the work of SILS through several programs and initiatives. The Association's activities focus on three crucial areas: engagement, recognition of achievement, and financial support.
- Contributes information to the SILS newsletter and maintains alumni listserv
- Sponsors alumni reunions and receptions
- Hosts new student reception
- Facilitates professional development activities, such as a speed networking event
Recognition of Achievement
- Sponsors Outstanding Service to the School Student Awards
- Sponsors Distinguished Alumni Awards (Sumbit a nomination for the 2022 Award)
- Sponsors Elfreda Chatman Research Awards
- The SILS Alumni Engagement Fund, established by the SILS Alumni Association in 2005, underwrites special programming that helps SILS students develop as professionals.
- The SILSAA Executive Board and the School plan and implement this programming, which our students consistently rank as one of the most valuable aspects of the SILS educational experience.
- Please visit the SILS Giving page to make an online gift to this fund now. To learn more about the fund, please visit the page’s Giving at Work sections.
The School (through the University) also manages an electronic listserv for alumni. To subscribe, send the word SUBSCRIBE in the subject line of an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. To send to the listserv, address your message to email@example.com
The School regularly provides alumni with services such as information about networking, job opportunities, special events, and professional news. To ensure you always receive this information, please keep your contact information current. To do this, visit the secure website at https://portal.dev.unc.edu/ and click the "Update My Profile" link.